PEN CATALÀ | INTERNATIONAL RESIDENCIES
PEN Català, in collaboration with Barcelona City of Literature, issues a call for applications for 2 international literary residencies in 2023.
Within the framework of UNESCO Cities of Literature, PEN Català, in collaboration with Barcelona city hall, is offering two international literary residencies. The aim of the residencies is to promote the mobility of authors connected to ICORN and PEN centres, two International networks to which PEN Català and the city of Barcelona belong.
What is included?
The residency includes housing, travel expenses, and 300 euros allowance.
Who is eligible?
Authors in any literary genre, fiction or nonfiction, who are linked to a PEN centre or the ICORN network.
– Proof of two previous literary publications (self-publishing excluded), or two productions in the case of playwrights.
– Sufficient knowledge of one of these languages: Catalan, Spanish, or English.
– Willingness to participate in cultural activities and exchanges with local authors in the city of Barcelona.
– Membership at a PEN centre, previous participation in the Writers in Refuge programme in one of the ICORN cities, or a connection to one of these two networks and proof of such.
– The literary and linguistic quality of the presented project will be evaluated, as well as its treatment of contemporary issues.
– The author’s interest in the city of Barcelona and Catalan culture and language will be evaluated.
The duration of the residency is 15 days, taking place from June 26 to July 9, 2023
The residency will be located at MUHBA Vil·la Joana, an emblematic building surrounded by vegetation in the Collserola hills, and which includes a museum and the literary residence.
Documentation needed to apply
– Letter of motivation
– List of published works
– Presentation of the literary project to be worked on during the stay. The submission will include a title, a description (1-2 pages) and a writing sample (3-5 pages).
Deadline for submitting applications
May 12, 2023
Download the basis here.