Writing in Residency | Arraiolos | Portugal 2024
They are open for writing residencies: from March to November 2024. Writers, researchers, journalists, curators, PhD students or candidates are welcome for a period of minimum 4 weeks and maximum 3 months. Applications are accepted all year round.
The program, running since 2016 in the peaceful town of Arraiolos, provides the time and space to focus on writing, make new connections, learn new skills and discover the Alentejo Region together with a group of multidisciplinary artists from Portugal and all over the world.
Duration of residency
Minimum 4 weeks. Maximum 3 months. Please ask about the other durations.
Artists accommodation and house studios are located in the center of the town, in a 800m2 refurbished XVIII century manor house. The area for residency has: 9 rooms, 4 bathrooms. 1 kitchen, living and dining room, meeting and projection room, studios and work spaces, terrace, garden and courtyard. Artists will be accommodated in private rooms with a private or shared bathroom.
Disciplines, work equipment and assistance
The general residency program includes:
– Regular follow up of the projects;
– Portfolio presentations;
– Networking and support with local and regional resources;
– Field trips to the natural, historical and industrial heritage of the region;
– Resident artist lectures in schools and university;
– Thematic workshops;
– Open studio.
Studio / Workspace
According to the project´s needs we will assign a private or shared space.Artists have access to studios 24h, 7/7
Fees and support
250€/week and includes:
– Accommodation in private bedroom in the Córtex Frontal house;
– Access to shared areas (equipped kitchen, dining, living rooms, terrace, patio and garden);
– Studio space (private or shared according to availability);
– All bills, wifi, free access to laundry and bikes;
– Participation in the workshops;
– Equipments and materials for the workshops.
There is a possibility of receiving a grant. Organisers will provide information about third parties funds and actively support applications in order to fund the residency.
Expectations towards the artist
Arranged on a case by case basis and depending on the artist´s time/plans we will organise some event for the local community such as workshop/artist talks, in the local school or in the Art University.
More information and an application form can be found here