Literary Residencies in Gdansk | Urban Culture Institute 2023
The City Culture Institute is announcing the second call for applications for the Literary Residency Programme in Gdansk, aimed at translators from Poland, authors from Belarus and Ukraine, as well as researchers and cultural scholars. In the call, open until May 8, seven male and female residents will be selected for stays in Gdansk. Residents benefiting from the program are provided with an apartment in Gdansk, substantive and logistical support and an honorarium of up to 4,400 PLN gross per month. Guests are also included in the literary activities of the City Culture Institute Residencies in Gdansk provide an opportunity to spend several weeks in the city for creative work and a chance to get to know the local artistic community.
Residencies for authors (Poland, Ukraine, Belarus)
The call is addressed to authors from Poland, Belarus and Ukraine, who:
– have published (in print) at least one book or poetry volume,
– are currently working on a literary project.
Residency for translators from Poland
Open call is aimed at translators from a foreign language into Polish who:
– have at least one translation published in print or staged in the theater,
– are currently working on a translation project.
This year, translators translating poetry are especially encouraged to apply.
We extend our invitation for a humanistic residency to researchers of culture who will work on the story of Maria Janion’s life and legacy, and in particular on the period she spent in Gdansk. The call is aimed at researchers of Maria Janion’s life and work who:
– have published at least two scientific articles,
– are currently working on a project thematically related to the life and works of Maria Janion.
Duration of the Literary Residencies 2023
Residencies can last from 2 to 6 weeks, will begin at the end of May and will last until the end of 2023 in total. The dates will be agreed directly with the residents and residents selected in the call.
How to apply.
Applications in Polish or English (in exceptional cases – in Belarusian, Ukrainian or Russian) should be sent by midnight May 8, 2023 to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The application should include:
– a completed form,
– CV with a list of published literary works or scientific papers,
– a motivation letter with a description of the concept of the work for the residency period (not more than 5000 characters with spaces),
– an excerpt from the published work (maximum 8 A4 pages, in the original language)
The results of the call will be announced by May 16, 2023.
Organizers: the City of Gdansk and the City Culture Institute.